in honor of my 100th post, here are 100 awesome things in semi-random order. some of these things i have mentioned before, some are new; none are perfect, but all inspire within me at least a little bit of wonder. enjoy!
1. free schools are run by children.
2. cosmic trigger is a fun, mind-bending book by robert anton wilson.
3. critical mass promotes biketivism.
4. pandora plays free music like the music you like.
5. spirits play beautiful music through forward kwenda.
6. worms eat your garbage (indoor composting).
7. sweat lodges and baths are a worldwide tradition.
8. hempcrete is easy, hard and sustainable.
9. the salivation army sounds totally insane, in a mostly good way.
10. canoe sailers recreate ancient nautical voyages.
11. audrey kawasaki paints women on wood.
12. miracle fruit makes bitter things taste sweet
13. precious metal clay lets you sculpt silver jewelry.
14. send your paper cranes to hiroshima peace park.
15. find something for dinner at tastespotting.
16. love it or hate it, you can't escape burning man.
17. there are lots of ways to wear your baby (i like the tibetan).
18. localvores eat local.
19. rooibos tea is so good (and healthy).
20. poppy tea is surprisingly legal.
21. this is the best basic pen ever.
22. laugh at the daily show and colbert report online.
23. my mother wears combat boots is a decent book about parenting.
24. fermented foods are also healthy and delicious.
25. tom brown teaches survival and healing in the apache tradition.
26. nausicaa is my favorite miyazaki/studio ghibli movie.
27. derrick jensen's language older than words is depressing but beautiful.
28. quetzalcoatl gets my nomination for god of the moment.
29. painting on masonite revolutionized my art (and it's eco-friendly).
30. crows feature in many spiritual traditions, and they're smart too.
31. travel the world with lonely planet.
32. american apparel is fun and sweatshop free (though creepy).
33. may day is one thing anarchists and pagans can agree about.
34. 2012. is the world going to end?
35. natural dyes can be amazingly colorful.
36. peace silk is made without killing the worm (vegan? freegan!).
37. labradorite is an amazing stone. you should look at some in person.
38. vurt is one of my favorite novels. psyberpunk?
39. jacques derrida will make your brain explode (in a good way).
40. hot air balloons -- so steampunk it hurts.
41. lol wasteland is pretty funny if you like lolcats and/or t.s. eliot.
42. ancient rune poems contain the original interpretations of the runes.
43. molecular gastronomy is weird, awesome food.
44. these people are having a zero impact environmental year.
45. nata de coco in the strangest canned dessert ever.
46. visit alex grey at the chapel of sacred mirrors in new york.
47. then eat at my favorite (gourmet, vegan, korean) restaurant, hangawi.
48. or, the musee d'orsay in paris has a stunning art nouveau collection.
49. and the sanctuary, in thailand, is a great place to relax on the beach.
50. sock dreams has more types of socks than you can imagine.
51. zafira and baraka mundi are two fantastic tribal belly dance troupes.
52. wildcrafters forage for wild food plants. learn your herbs first.
53. you can build a harpsichord, or a theremin. (theremin? theremin!)
54. earthships are beautiful, permacultural homes.
55. bicycle powered chocolate. what's next? bicycle powered soap and gyms.
56. interested in fasting? the master cleanse is pretty simple (mmm, lemonade).
57. drums, drums, drums, drums, drums!
58. mushrooms just might save the world.
59. this guy kind of defies description.
60. these smart people have good ideas about making stuff better.
61. birthing from within seems to get a lot of things right.
62. the sivananda companion to yoga is serious but approachable.
63. don't tell me you haven't heard about the planet earth series.
64. waldorf toys are simple and beautiful.
65. these vegan brownies don't suck. no, really.
66. folkwear makes a dizzying array of historical and multicultural patterns.
67. gouache rocks my world.
68. if you're in pittsburgh on a tuesday, you can silkscreen anything for $5!
69. orchids are so beautiful and diverse.
70. the miss rockaway armada intends to raft down the mississippi, awesomely.
71. the rosetta stone makes learning foreign languages really easy and fun.
72. the ruckus society trains activists to do direct action.
73. accupuncture is amazingly successful at treating addiction.
74. spoonfed makes magical resin pendants.
75. i thought the wonderful movie the prestige was somewhat overlooked.
76. food not bombs will feed anyone.
77. hashisheen: the original anarchist agitators?
78. i can't help it, i really like gogol bordello's gypsy punk.
79. this american life is a fun, quirky talk show.
80. dan savage answers bizarre sex questions in his podcast.
81. ana voog's tree octopus may be the coolest hat ever.
82. tom waits invites you to make it rain.
83. nobody knows how banksy does it.
84. make magazine tells you how to do stuff.
85. someone built a hobbit house.
86. 'skineart is sometimes inspiring.
87. the infoshop anarchist faq is decent.
88. howtoons. what a cool idea!
89. i love low tech solutions.
90. i wish (super cheap) megabus would come to pittsburgh.
91. 'tis the season for plant graffiti. try seedballs and moss art.
92. rumi: everyone's favorite sufi.
93. according to some, the lakota nation recently declared independence.
94. kiva borrows from the rich and lends to the poor, interest free.
95. xocolatl, food of the gods.
96. i am a paperbackswap addict.
97. twin oaks is a 30 year old, self-sustaining 100 person commune.
98. you have nearly reached the end of the internet.
99. but james has to make it into this list somewhere.
100. and, umm, river. yep. let's look at that chocolate face again.